Thread Rating:
  • 43 Votes - 2.58 Average
Which camcorder to stream live video?
10-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Which camcorder to stream live video?
I've been trying to research this for a week or more and can't seem to find any solid information on the web:

We use Sonic Foundry to stream our events, but want to have a back-up to stream on USTREAM in case anything goes wrong. But so many digital camcorders won't stream live to USB.

Can anyone recommend a camcorder or setup to use that will work for live streaming a single camera that's not a web cam? It's seems there is absolutely no FAQ or guide on which camera to use to stream live!

Thanks to anyone who can offer insight.

We are using PC, not Mac if that helps.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2009, 12:52 PM
RE: Which camcorder to stream live video?
Any reason why you are trying to stream it over USB when Ustream appears to also support DV cameras ?

"...If it is an embedded webcam then it will appear as "USB Video Class Video". If it is a plugged in DV Camera then it will appear as "DV Video"..."

Note that you will find some lower end DV cameras won't provide a live video stream out of the DV output either, however it should at least open up some more options.

You don't mention your price range, so it will be difficult for people to recommend specific cameras.

Dave
10-05-2009, 01:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2009 01:08 PM by sebastian6.)
Dave-
Thanks for the start. We are hearing that lower end camcorder with miniDV work best. We hear that digital video cameras (HD, SDHC) don't stream live very well. We bought a Canon Vixia HF100 and everywhere I read that it won't stream live, only transfer from the media already recorded.
It's confusing.
Also, do we need an interface, like a Pinnacle Studio interface? What kind of outs do we need for the camera? I can't find any of these basic questions answered on the web. Sorry to sound ignorant.
Price range is around 200-400 for the camcorder.

(10-05-2009 12:52 PM)Dave Wrote:  Any reason why you are trying to stream it over USB when Ustream appears to also support DV cameras ?

"...If it is an embedded webcam then it will appear as "USB Video Class Video". If it is a plugged in DV Camera then it will appear as "DV Video"..."

Note that you will find some lower end DV cameras won't provide a live video stream out of the DV output either, however it should at least open up some more options.

You don't mention your price range, so it will be difficult for people to recommend specific cameras.

Dave
10-05-2009, 01:56 PM
A standard OHCI IEEE-1394 interface should work ok. Some proprietory interfaces have additional video related features but don't support firewire storage devices etc. Some of the more expensive ones have hardware DV encode/decode etc onboard which can off-load processing power from the main processor.

Not sure how you can reliably identify live video over firewire from a typical spec sheet, however if it mentions support of analog pass through, then the chances are it will.

Perhaps take a laptop down to your local camcoder shop and work your way through the display cabinet ?

Dave
10-09-2009, 06:13 AM
Hello:

I have a Canon Vixia HF10 and stream LIVE events on http://www.tikilive.com, it works and with the best HD quality. If you are interested I can show you a demo.
10-30-2009, 03:14 PM
(10-09-2009 06:13 AM)cata12 Wrote:  Hello:

I have a Canon Vixia HF10 and stream LIVE events on http://www.tikilive.com, it works and with the best HD quality. If you are interested I can show you a demo.

How do you do that? I just got an HF20 and I can't figure out how to get my computer to recognize it so I can stream video. USB doesn't work and I don't have an HDMI card. Thanks for the help.
11-04-2009, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2009 12:52 PM by cata12.)
Hello:

Thanks for the question, and here is how we do it in the office. We use
the following capture cards, see this PDF link http://www.tikilive.com/public/manual/co...oards.pdf. You see how to use the capture cards and how to hook this up to your PC. You live stream via the composite or component "in".

The TikiLIVE HD broadcaster is a software only encoder / broadcaster and recognizes the capture boards instantly. You may download the TikiLIVE HD broadcaster for free and try it out. Please let me know if I can assist with any configurations and help you stream your content. So you know the TikiLIVE has the ability to embed both live and VOD players into your site and they are free to use.

Thanks again,
Catalin
EyePartner Inc
11-16-2009, 09:19 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2009 09:20 PM by miisdmc.)
(10-30-2009 03:14 PM)snoop Wrote:  
(10-09-2009 06:13 AM)cata12 Wrote:  Hello:

How do you do that? I just got an HF20 and I can't figure out how to get my computer to recognize it so I can stream video. USB doesn't work and I don't have an HDMI card. Thanks for the help.

I am trying to figure out how to live stream with my Canon Vixia, I would love to know how you do it.
11-17-2009, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2010 09:31 AM by cata12.)
Hello:

Here is a good article for you to review, it basicly explains you how to start and what you need to stream HD with that camera. Look at: How to connect a canon vixia hf10 for hd video streaming

Please see me offline if you have additional questions.
10-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Hi Dave,

I m looking for a camcorder, for streaming in windows 7. Could you please suggest me any one camcorder,

Thanks
karan